At the time I’m writing this, it’s June 2020 and the national conversation these last few weeks has been about George Floyd, Breonna Taylor and countless other Black people in American who have been murdered by police.
White silence is unforgivable at this time. While I hope this was never in doubt, but if somehow I’ve missed the mark, let me be clear: Black lives don’t just matter. Black lives are vital and valuable and to be protected.
I will never discriminate against anyone for how they look, how they talk, who they love or how much money they make. But that is not enough and I know that I have to do more than just simply not be bigoted.
So, here’s what I will continue to do:
- I will show you the love you deserve and work my ass off to show you how beautiful you really are through photography.
- I will be an open ear and an activist to support the causes that matter to my clients, that should matter to us all.
- I will always focus on learning and growing so that I can be a better friend and partner to all of you.
- I will look more deeply at myself to find the places where I can harbor unintentionally racist or prejudiced feelings.
- I will be humble as I learn (and mess up) as I work to be a better ally.
- I will use my small platform to lift up the voices of BIPOC (Black, Indigenous and People of Color).
This month, as we celebrate Pride and grieve these murders at the hands of police, I want to be clear. I believe that Black lives more than matter. I believe that whether you love a man, a woman or a non-binary individual, your love is beautiful and whole and real. And I understand that these words mean nothing without action. I’m donating my money and my time, educating myself and having uncomfortable conversations with those around me.
It’s just the beginning. I hope you’ll join me and that you’ll help to hold me accountable in this space.
So please know this, I am grateful you are here and I will work to honor all that you are. Because no matter what you look like or sound like or who you love, you are beautiful and worth celebrating.